Saturday, September 20, 2008

Frustration....

While I am excited about my little boy getting his first tooth, with each day I become more and more frustrated (and sore) when nursing. He has nursed like a champ for the most part, but a few weeks before his tooth started coming in, he would "gum me"( Bite me with no teeth) pretty consistantly. We got over that hump, and now he is full out biting me with his new tooth. It hurts so bad. I have tried scolding him, tapping him firmly on his nose, setting him down, walking away even when hes still hungry, coming back to it after 15 minutes, etc etc etc... The only times he will nurse really well is when he is sleepy, or just waking up. So we have gone from nuring 8 to 10 times a day, to 6 to 7 times a day. I really, really wanted to nurse him until december - its such a wonderful bond, and i have truly enjoyed the experience of the closeness of it. I am hoping that I can still reach that goal, but if I can't get the biting under control, I dont know. I hope the situation improves soon...

It bothers me when people say its my fault because I introduced the bottle so early (3 weeks), and James knows he can bite the bottle and not have the same response as he gets from me. But I HAD to give him the bottle. I had to go back to work people!!! Give me a break. Its so frustrating when people put in their two cents and make me feel like the bad guy at the same time. And people definitely seem to put in their two cents frequently these days.

Just thought I would vent my frustration...

4 comments:

Angie said...

Whoa Kami! It's NOT NOT NOT you're fault. Are you kidding me? Whoever said that, doesn't know what they're talking about. Kai never had the bottle and man, could he bite! In fact, by the time he was 9-10 months old he had bit me so bad on both sides that I had open wounds and scabs and was bleeding. I finally had to cold turkey drop breastfeeding because I was in so much pain. Of course, by then he wouldn't touch formula because it tastes so gross. So, I went to pumping 5-6 times a day. Horrible, I know, but he needed milk. My recommendation (at least it worked when Kai started biting at 7 months) is to pinch his nose. Not hard. It would make Kai let go (he would bite and hang on) and really just make him upset. I only had to pinch his nose three times before he stopped. That worked for a couple of months and got us to 9 or 10 months. I think 10 now that I think of it.

If you decide you want to go to pumping, let me know. I've got some other recommendations that helped us a great deal. At least we got through the last few months of breastfeeding alive and it made the transition to whole milk very very easy. In the meantime, good luck with the biting thing. I hope something helps.

Sara said...

Oh hon, offering him a bottle at 3 weeks has NOTHING to do with him biting you. Who told you that? I hope it wasn't a member of our family...

Babies bite - they don't know better. and you have nursed him for nearly 6 months, which is great. If the biting doesn't stop, it is not terrible to wean and go directly to bottle. Or pump. Everyone has been bitten - it is no fun. You'll know what to do. Don't listen to other people's 2 cents. They are morons :). You're doing a GREAT job :)

McLaughlin Family said...

Kami these people are right, when kids get their teeth in for the first time, it is a new experience for them too. Everything is so new to them, it's just how they figure out how the world works. I was reading this article that told parents to play along with the game kids like to play- the give the toy to the baby who promptly throws it on the floor and when you give it back to them they repeat the process-as it helps them to understand cause and effect of gravity (but you don't have to continue for hours on end either-I think a couple of times will do. My mom nursed all of her six kids without ever having a bottle in sight and apparently we all bit her too!! You are a great mom Kami and your son is gorgeous!

Spencer, Kami, James and Madelynn said...

Thanks for listening everyone :) I love you all!!!